DHL New Zealand Lions Series 2017
Just an hour from Wellington - hosts of the Hurricanes match (27 June) and the All Blacks test (1 July) against the British & Irish Lions, the Wairarapa is a grand spot to base yourself for the matches in Wellington!
Catch a train to the games!
Pre-purchase your train ticket. Trains are available from the Wairarapa to the games in Wellington and back afterwards. This makes the Wairarapa an ideal place to be based.
Tuesday 27 June Hurricanes Game - trains will leave the region at 10.25am and 3.40pm (from Masterton and other stops thereafter) and there will be special trains returning to the Wairarapa after the game.
Saturday 1 July Test - trains will leave Wairarapa at 7.50am, 2.20pm and 4.50pm (from Masterton and other stops thereafter) and there will be special trains returning to the Wairarapa after the test.
The train trip Masterton – Wellington is just 1.5 hours on a modern comfortable train. Featherston (the station for Martinborough) to Wellington is a one hour trip. Buses will be available to and from Greytown and Martinborough.
The region has lots of activities planned to entertain fans including:
- Peter Bush: Hard On the Heels exhibition of rugby photography involving past All Blacks and Wairarapa Bush players
- Martinborough Wine Village will host Reds, Whites and Brews with rugby themed events - watch for a wine First XV, village rugby, special menus and offers from local restaurants, bars and cafes joining in by matching their dishes to a local red wine, white wine and beer.
- Have a night of Rugby Yarns with John Jeffrey - British & Irish Lion, Sir Brian Lochore - All Black and Romain Poite - Referee. Enjoy a welcome drink, nibbles and 2 course dinner. A charity auction will also be held. Wednesday 28 June from 6.30pm at Copthorne Solway Park, Masterton. More information and tickets available here.
- British and Irish Lions and All Blacks memorabilia auction
- Stay at a Wildlife Park! Have an extra-ordinary Kiwi experience! Stay in your self-contained campervan at Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre - take an exclusive guided night walk, including tuatara experience, see glow worms, listen for kiwi in the wild, visit the kiwi house and free flight aviary. A delicious 2 course dinner is included in your stay with bar facilities. Wake up in the morning and enjoy the dawn chorus.
- Special winery tours and tastings
- Sheep shearing demonstrations at The Wool Shed
- Reds, Whites and Brews Wine Walks. Exclusive tours of the region's most iconic wine producers, rarely open to the public.
26th, 28th and 29th June - walks start from 9.30am. Tours must be pre-booked.
Looking for accommodation - stay here!
We have everything from B&B's, powered campervan sites in holiday parks, luxury retreats, stylish hotels... take your pick!
Book your accommodation online here or our super i-SITE Visitor Information teams can help you find accommodation - we're local specialists - get in touch.
Campervan Heaven in the Wairarapa
In our lovely big region we have lots of powered campervan sites.
Check out these places close to the Wairarapa trains:
Martinborough TOP 10 Holiday Park
A relaxed Qualmark 4 Star Plus holiday park in Martinborough Wine Village with powered sites, self contained units and standard cabins. The kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities are clean and modern. Free WiFi and bike hire are also available. Located within walking distance of Martinborough Square.
Featherston Motel & Campground
Just 1 hour from Wellington in the gateway town to the Wairarapa. Powered campervan sites are available.
Mawley Holiday Park in Masterton
All sites, powered and unpowered, are situated in a park-like setting with views of the stunning Tararua Ranges. Enjoy full use of the modern fully-equipped kitchen/dining area, BBQ area, and modern communal bathrooms
Tauherenikau Racecourse Motorhome and Caravan park
Set among beautiful native bush and 100 year old trees. Tauherenikau offer a new Motorhome and Caravan park located in magnificent, picturesque, peaceful bush surroundings. 5 minutes from Featherston (gateway town Wairarapa) and only an hour's train or drive to Wellington.
Five minute walk from coffee, snazzy shops, cafes, restaurants and hotels...it's a special village to relax in. Powered sites are available.
Explore the Wairarapa - check out our full list of campervan parks.