DHL New Zealand Lions Series 2017
Just an hour from Wellington - hosts of the Hurricanes match (27 June) and the All Blacks test (1 July) against the British & Irish Lions, the Wairarapa is a grand spot to base yourself for the matches in Wellington!
Looking for Wairarapa accommodation? Click here
Day Trip from Wellington
Based in Wellington for the games? We have some fun, guided or unguided day trip ideas.
The region has lots of activities planned to entertain fans including:
- Peter Bush: Hard On the Heels exhibition of rugby photography involving past All Blacks and Wairarapa Bush players
- See 11 Gottfried Lindauer portraits of influential Kahungunu leaders! Te marae o Rongotaketake is the largest exhibition of Ngāti Kahungunu taonga ever on display featuring 200 historical items including Gottfried Lindauer portraits, a 7½-metre-long waka, and an intricately carved wahaika.
- The world's only white kiwi at Pukaha Mount Bruce Wildlife Centre! Take a guided tour and get up close to native NZ wildlife such as tuatara, eels, kaka and kiwi!
- Martinborough Wine Village will host Reds, Whites and Brews. Martinborough's wineries and craft brewery are offering rugby fans special tastings. Restaurants and cafes have dishes matched to local wines or craft beer. Visitors can attend practices at the Martinborough Rugby Club and enjoy the drink with the locals at the club bar. Martinborough retailers are offering a huge welcome and the town has even designed its own Reds, Whites & brews rugby shirt so that you can spot the locals!
- Grass roots function at the Carterton Rugby Club featuring terrific local rugby and hospitality with a fun game of touch rugby between locals and rugby fans.
Thursday 29 June.
- Have a night of Rugby Yarns with John Jeffrey - British & Irish Lion, Sir Brian Lochore - All Black and Romain Poite - Referee. Enjoy a welcome drink, nibbles and 2 course dinner. A charity auction will also be held. Information and tickets available here.
-Reds, Whites and Brews Wine Walks. Exclusive tours of the region's most iconic wine producers, rarely open to the public. 26th, 28th and 29th June - walks start from 9.30am. Tours must be pre-booked.
- Martinborough Wine tours from the 26th June - 7th July.
- Just north of Masterton you'll find the Tui Brewery, with its historic brick tower, guided brewery tours, cafe, and yes… famous Tui beer only available at the brewery.
- Lone Star - pop in for a drink in the bar, lunch or dinner. The menu includes a range of hearty favourites like ribs, salads and succulent steaks!
- A beer lovers' oasis in the wine village of Martinborough! Martinborough Brewery produces premium hand-crafted beer made by two friends. Try the Hop Elixir, Black Nectar stout or Foxy Red ale - they taste just as good as they sound.
- There are dozens of foodie delights to discover right around the region. You've got to keep your energy up while exploring the Wairarapa!
- Restaurants, Cafes and Bakeries - your options are endless! From relaxed cafes, vineyards & bakeries to modern restaurants celebrating our local Wairarapa produce.
- Chocolate your thing? Schoc Chocolates has over 85 flavours of handcrafted chocolate from Chilli & Lime, Curry & Papadum to the popular Wellington Chocolate.
We have lots of great shopping waiting for you in the Wairarapa.
- Get a true kiwi gift at Paua World, filled with all your kiwi souvenirs perfect to take home.
- Martinborough Wine Merchants is a one-stop specialist wine shop! The expert team can tell you everything you need to know about our Wairarapa wines and vineyards.
- Have a taste of Country Life on a New Zealand Farm with the Country Cooking School. Enjoy the charming NZ countryside while you forage and have a garden tour on the farm then sit down to a 3 course lunch made from farm produce & matched with local wine. Come from Wellington on the train - class times can work with the train plus transfers to & from the Featherston Train Station can be arranged.
- Stay at a Wildlife Park! Have an extra-ordinary Kiwi experience! Stay in your self-contained campervan at Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre - take an exclusive guided night walk, see tuatara & glow worms, listen for kiwi in the wild, visit the kiwi house & free flight aviary. A 2 course dinner is included in your stay with bar facilities. Wake up in the morning and enjoy the dawn chorus.
- Stay the night in your self-contained campervan at the Mangatainoka Reserve right beside Tui Brewery - how good can it get?! While you're there leave your 'green stamp' on NZ and plant a native tree in the reserve gifted to every campervan by Tui Brewery.
- Sheep shearing demonstrations at The Wool Shed.
Day Trip from Wellington?
We're only an hours drive or train ride north of Wellington.
Take a guided day trip from Wellington - check out the wine village of Martinborough with the Tranzit Gourmet Wine Tour or see our stunning Wairarapa coast on the Hammonds Palliser Bay Tour - both of these tours are easy to do in a day from Wellington.
Check out the Green Jersey Cape Palliser Explorer Tour - see the Palliser lighthouse, walk through the Pinnacles (Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King filming spot!), see the fur seal colony then stop in for some of the best fish and chips at the local hotel! You can start the tour in Martinborough at Green Jersey or take the train from Wellington and Green Jersey will collect you at the Featherston train station.
Or take it at your own pace and drive. Head to Greytown, a sophisticated shopping & eating village then finish your day off in Martinborough, only a 15 minute drive from Greytown. Martinborough is packed with colonial charm and over 20 wineries, most within cycling or walking distance from the village square which is laid out in a Union Jack pattern.
Need a quick overview of whats on? Click here
Stay! Looking for accommodation?
We have everything from B&B's, powered campervan sites in holiday parks, luxury retreats, stylish hotels... take your pick!
Book your accommodation online here or our super i-SITE Visitor Information teams can help you find accommodation - we're local specialists - get in touch.
Campervan Heaven in the Wairarapa
In our lovely big region we have lots of powered campervan sites.
Check out these places close to the Wairarapa trains:
Martinborough TOP 10 Holiday Park
A relaxed Qualmark 4 Star Plus holiday park in Martinborough Wine Village with powered sites, self contained units and standard cabins. The kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities are clean and modern. Free WiFi and bike hire are also available. Located within walking distance of Martinborough Square.
Featherston Motel & Campground
Just 1 hour from Wellington in the gateway town to the Wairarapa. Powered campervan sites are available.
Mawley Holiday Park in Masterton
All sites, powered and unpowered, are situated in a park-like setting with views of the stunning Tararua Ranges. Enjoy full use of the modern fully-equipped kitchen/dining area, BBQ area, and modern communal bathrooms
Five minute walk from coffee, snazzy shops, cafes, restaurants and hotels...it's a special village to relax in. Powered sites are available.
Explore the Wairarapa - check out our full list of campervan parks.