Wairarapa's right in the centre of New Zealand, and just a short hop over the hill from Wellington.
From Wellington by car
Jump on State Highway 2 for a direct, scenic drive up through the Remutaka Pass and down into the Wairarapa plains. It's 1hr 10 to Featherston. Add another 15 min for Greytown or Martinborough, or 20 min for Carterton or Masterton. Check conditions on the Remutaka Pass on web cam.
This driving-times page is super handy.
Wairarapa is a great day trip from Wellington and there are lots of ways to do that.
From Wellington by train
Sit back and gaze at the scenery - you'll be in Wairarapa in an hour. Check out a Wellington to Wairarapa timetable.
- Bring your bike! Just get to the station early at peak commuter times (4.25pm and 5.30pm) - the bike carriage can fill up fast.
- Coming to Featherston (1h), Carterton (1h25) or Masterton (1h30)? The train stops near the centre of these towns so you can stroll straight to shops, cafes and accommodation.
- Coming to Martinborough? Hop off the train in Featherston and board a Martinborough bus which meets every train on weekdays and Saturdays. On Sundays and public holidays you'll need to book a shuttle with Rimutaka Shuttles or Martinborough Shuttles.
- Getting to Greytown (1h10): Greytown's train station is called Woodside and it's 5km out of town. A shuttle bus will meet the train and whisk you straight to Main Street every day except Sunday. Or use pedal power - cycle into town along the pretty Woodside Trail. Hire cycles ahead of time to meet you at the station.
From Palmerston North by car
It's 1hr 15 from Palmy to Masterton - follow the signs to Woodville. This easy drive takes you through rolling countryside and a bunch of fun places to stop along the way:
- The iconic Tui Brewery, Mangatainoka
- Pukaha Mount Bruce National Wildlife Centre
- Middleton Model Railway and farmhouse cheese
From Palmerston North by coach
Intercity coach service run from Palmerston North to Masterton via Woodville. Take a look at the Intercity Coach timetable.
Rent a car - check out locally based companies and those nearby.
From Hawke's Bay by car
It's an easy drive down the Classic New Zealand Wine Trail from the Bay. Just two and a half hours from Napier to Masterton.
Main roads closed between Wairarapa towns? Check out these alternative routes.